EXTENDED LEG SQUAT POSE
1. From Table position, tuck the toes under and walk the hands in towards the feet, keeping the knees bent and bringing the hips pressed down towards the heels in a squatting position.
2. Walk the feet a little further apart until the torso is not resting against the thighs and the feet are flat on the floor.
3. Keep your hands on the floor in front of you as you slowly extend and straighten the right leg, pressing out through the heel. Let the hips sink down towards the left heel.
4. Breathe and hold for 1-3 breaths.
5. To release: slowly slide the extended leg back into a squatting position.
6. Repeat on other side.
Extended leg squat pose is a more challenging asana than garland pose and requires additional openness in the hips and flexibility in the legs. It is recommended to master garland pose before moving on to this variation.
Stretches the hamstrings
Opens the hips
Releases tension in the lower back
These effects may be particularly beneficial for those who experience muscular tightness in the lower body, such as runners and cyclists, as well as those who spend a long time sitting.
Extended leg squat may be modified by placing the hands on the floor or on yoga blocks. To deepen the pose, the heel of the supporting leg lowers to the ground and the hips sink to the heel.